Sunday, August 2, 2009

Food As Art 2

Food As Art

In the article I read on -line the writer Susan Smillie asked the question in relation to food being art. This question was asked to Jonathan Jones who writes on art for the Guardian and is on the jury for the 2009 Turner prize. He stated “that food can never be art, because chefs are cooking to please the customer, and says: "Until people go to a restaurant to think about death, cooking won't be art." ( page.1.”Is food art?”). I'm sorry I completely disagree with this statement. As I go over his quote I can't seem to reason with it in any way or form. I believe that food can be categorizes into two forms of art. The first is presentation which is key and just this alone is feel is considered art. Then you also have taste which is another form of art.
Maybe Jonathan Jones was referring to the fast food industries, if so I would completely agree with him. But to say food is not art what so ever is wrong.


Smiley, S. (N/A). Is food art? [ On-Line Article]. Retrieved August 2, 2009 http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2007/may/24/theatreoffood

No comments:

Post a Comment